I'm writing a Lois and Clark parallel worlds crossover for my Supergirl Returns series, which is based on the cinematic version of Superman and especially Superman Returns. One of the ways I want the worlds to be different is for Metropolis to be in a different place - I've gone with a location relatively near New York for the movie version, and a location nearer to Milford (as in Fictitious Persons) for the L&C 'verse. This is the way I'm explaining it:

“As near as I can figure it,” said Jason, “we must have flown through some sort of rift between dimensions somewhere between Smallville and Metropolis – where Metropolis is in out world, I mean.”

“That’s the part I don’t understand,” said Lois. “Why would Metropolis be in a different place?”

“I think I can answer that,” said Clark, “Metropolis was founded by a group of Dutch fur traders. They were headed to New Amsterdam, that’s New York today, but got blown off course by a storm, ended up getting shipwrecked here, liked the place, and decided to stay. Maybe in Jason’s world the storm was less intense or blew in a slightly different direction and they ended up nearer New York.”

Seem plausible?

Marcus L. Rowland
Forgotten Futures, The Scientific Romance Role Playing Game