Disclaimer: All recognisable characters, story lines etc. are property of DC Comics, December 3rd Productions and Warner Bros. I'm just doing this for fun.

After almost two years, countless daydreams and a lot of patience, tonight is the night.

We’ve put it off so many times for so many reasons, but no longer.

I have a date. With Lois.

Our first date.

I have never been so nervous in my entire life.

Even my first public appearance as Superman wasn’t quite this nerve-wracking. There’s just so much riding on this date. Every hope, every dream I have for the future involves this one particular, wonderful woman.

I want it- I need it- to go well.

If it doesn’t, the consequences don’t bear thinking about.

Lois is the only woman I’ve ever loved. And if I blow this now, I don’t know that she’d give me another chance.

I think it would’ve been easier if we’d just managed to go to that Pearl Jam concert. Yes, it was last minute- and not necessarily my idea of an ideal first date- but with so much time having passed since then, it’s allowed the pressure to build and build. Now we’re at the point where I’m worried that she will expect everything to be perfect.

I want everything to be perfect.

I want her to want a second date, and a third, and a fourth… and a future.

Everything I can think of to do to make this date a success is…done.

I managed to get last minute reservations at one of Metropolis’s most
upscale restaurants- a feat that took a lot of called in favours and some blatant dropping of Superman’s name.

Fame has it uses.

I’m wearing the charcoal suit she likes, a recent (and expensive) purchase. I’ve worn it to the office once or twice, and I thought it looked pretty good. I guess she did too.

I like that she noticed.

And I especially liked the look on her face when she suggested it earlier. I’m pretty sure I’ve worn a similar look around her many times. It’s that awareness of her as a woman that’s been a constant undercurrent- on my side- in all of our dealings since the moment we met. An awareness that’s only intensified in these last few weeks, and that was at its strongest yet today when we shook on a bet- and ending up holding hands.

I know she felt it too.

As I reach her apartment building and jog lightly up the stairs, I can’t wipe the smile off my face even through my escalating
nervousness.

I’m not even wearing the Suit tonight. I don’t want any interruptions for any reason. This night- this date- is too important.

Tonight is the night everything changes.

"It means never having to play it cool about how much you like something. It's basically a license to proudly emote on a somewhat childish level rather than behave like a supposed adult. Being a geek is extremely liberating."- Simon Pegg