Oh, dear. Cedric has gone away for a few more days? Why must he torture Lavinia so? Doesn't he know that not only will her heart miss him terribly, she only has his uncle for company? Such cruelness!
Sorry, VirginiaR, I'm not sure what you mean here. Cedric hasn't left again. He's down in the tunnel, with Jacques, for some fencing practice and a serious discussion about love and the timing thereof. They make reference to when they had been away at the farms, but that was the trip they took before the dinner party. He has finished that work and won't have to go out again.

So, Lucius has been hiring thieves to serve during the day and become highwaymen during the night. It explains why he sent away the old loyal staff upon his arrival.
True! That, and just to be mean. He knew that would bother Cedric.

I've been trying to figure out if Jacques is supposed to represent Perry or Jonathan. I see both figures in his personality and as he's older than Cedric, he couldn't possibly be Jimmy.
No, he's not Jimmy. I think you'll recognize Jimmy when you meet him.
You make a good point about Jacques being a combination of Jonathan and Perry. I think the scale tips a bit towards Jonathan, but Perry is there, too.

Great discussions! I've missed this.