Even low continuous acceleration such as 0.01g would get you to Mars ridiculously fast, e.g. a couple of weeks, and I suspect that they're basing their claims of having a space drive on some very tiny measured acceleration of that sort of magnitude. But to test these things properly you need to eliminate all sources of error, and that's VERY difficult when you're dealing with forces that small. In the case of the Dean Drive of the 1950s, for example, the upwards acceleration they thought they measured was caused by the accelerometer not being able to work properly with something vibrating up and down on top of it.

I'll be honest, I really don't believe in this drive. Every few years someone comes along with something that's supposed to rewrite the laws of physics, usually it turns out to be experimental error or fairly basic misunderstanding of what's going on. And the Telegraph should not be considered a reliable source for anything whatever; you'll notice that there is no direct quote from NASA, for example.

Last edited by Marcus Rowland; 07/31/15 07:22 PM.

Marcus L. Rowland
Forgotten Futures, The Scientific Romance Role Playing Game