Originally Posted by Morgana
That's why we are still here, rather than with the floating palace. Your father, the Chief Elder, felt it was his duty to stay and attempt to find a solution to the quakes which constantly rock the planet now. He felt it his responsibility to try to convince those who had stayed here, rather than going with the palace, to evacuate Krypton. None have listened, including me. I could not leave him behind and you were not yet born when the band of colonists left the planet. We've heard no word from them, and I fear the worst has happened.

This explains fully why Jor-El and Lara did not save themselves. They were a selfless couple to the last, thinking of others rather than their own needs. We can see Clark got that particular quality in abundance.

Your eyes lock with mine and you smile at me. It's almost more than I can bear. It nearly unmakes me and melts my solid will.

I thought Lara's words were painful to read, this line from Jor-El side just about did me in. For their sacrifice, Earth has won a great deal.

When its Kerth time, you get my vote.

Thank you! I am humbled by the high praise!

I liked the idea of Jor-El as the Chief Elder for two reasons. 1) It explains how Clark could be of high enough status to wed Zara, the heir to the throne. (Clark is only considered the leader so long as his marriage to Zara is intact, as per canon.) 2) It explains how Trey the bumbler could have ever had achieved Chief Elder status. (Someone better died and he was runner up.)

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"Being with you is stronger than me alone." ~ Clark Kent

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon