Originally Posted by IolantheAlias
I'm having trouble searching for stuff - whatever I put in, nothing comes back as a search result.

Is there a thread here somewhere that gives instructions on how to search in these new boards?
We discussed it when these new boards were just updated, but I think it would take me longer to look for that discussion than to explain it again. lol

Firstly, when doing a search, you need to remove the date range to make sure that it isn't just searching the past week. I usually just leave it completely blank.

Secondly, choose which forum you want to search.

Thirdly, make sure that your search isn't too generic, which doesn't really work for us with generic titles such as "Another Lois" or "Just Another Day". [Linked Image] (Wrong Clark comes up easy-peesy, but not Another Lois.) When doing a search for my "First Kiss" story, nothing came back when I put "first" as the search word. However, when I changed it to "First Kiss" (without quotes), I got results for both my story and Classicalla's "Kiss" story.

Personally, I usually do searches just in "subject" category, because otherwise you might end up with too many false positives. For my example above, when I searched for "First Kiss" (without quotes) in both the Subject & Body search, I ended up with 8 pages of results, none of which were correct because the first 200 results only got us back until last August.

I hope that helps. laugh

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.