For me, a WHAM is any Wistful, Heartwrenching, Agonizing Moment that is related to an A-plot.
Anna's got the original meaning of the term... a poignant quiet moment of exquisite angst... (think Clark watching Lois say "yes" to Lex) but it didn't take long for "WHAM" the term to match meanings with "wham" the sound, and it turned into a term to describe death and destruction. I liked the first version better laugh

Warnings may be a good idea, but don't seem to be very practical. Especially since we don't all have the same meaning for the term <g>

My personal no-no's would be the bad guy winning, or a child being abused/dying, although even there, I can get into it if it's written well. I'm thinking LauraBF's heartwrenching "Little Girl Lost" here. razz

As for L&C making love with anyone but each other -- that may be extremely icky, and I'm not saying I'm likely to like it, but I don't think I'd call it a WHAM.

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K