I was a little confused by the wording of this poll. You presented the question as: "one person was meant to die for so many others to live, is that alright?"

Yet I felt that the two options given said the same thing: "Yes, I agree with that" is the same thing to me as "No, Star Trek got it right". So I voted "other".

I think this is a very tough question to answer because so much considers on the situation.

What if thousands of soldiers die defending a king (many die to save one) who later turns out to be a fabulous dimplomat able to avert a global war (one saving many)? Or in Superman terms, what if twenty police officers die protecting him from a kryptonite death, and he in turn saves thousands?

Yet, fundamentally, I believe that if the death of one or two people can prevent the death of scores, hundreds, thousands, millions, then it is a sacrifice that seems reasonable.

But I agree with Rivka in that this is not so simple when the "sacrificee" is not willing. Who decides and how can anyone be sure? All I can imagine is some terrified young virgin being shoved into a volcano.

I'm glad I'm not in a position to have to make these decisions!

Lynn

You know that boy'd walk on water for you? Or he'd drown tryin'. -Perry White to Lois in Just Say Noah