Sorry, Chris, didn't mean to step on your toes! smile If it'll make you feel any better, I could promise never to vote for you! goofy Unless, of course, you write more really good stories wink

Seriously, I admit I hadn't thought of it that way. I just like to "spread the wealth" where possible. Plus I've already won multiple Kerths, and while I won't lie and say I don't want any more of them, I do tend to feel it should be someone else's turn up on stage. And, IMO, there are excellent authors in FOLCdom who haven't quite made it up there yet, for various reasons.

Several years ago, two stories I loved made the ballot, in two categories each. But they were the same two categories, and they both fit both categories very well. I haven't seen vote tallies, so I could be totally imagining this, but I think it's very possible that those two stories split their votes. If half the readers voted for a story in Category A, and the other half vote in Category B, then in each case it's only got half as many votes as it might otherwise have gotten, and a totally terrific story might miss out on winning. huh Or, again, maybe I'm totally overthinking things.

Anyway, I'm probably the only person who uses such a torturous process, so I'm not gonna make much of an impact anyway wink

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K