I did not forget romance; I just don't consider it a genre in quite the same way. I mean, I read historical romances, SF romances, mystery romances... all of which have less in common, genre-wise, than they have differences.
I dunno, I think it's a matter of emphasis and focus, really. If the story is, at heart, about how two people meet, fall in love, and get together... then it's a romance. The background (historical, sf, mystery) is just eye candy.

OTOH, there are historical, sci-fi, and mystery stories that are about the main plot problem, whatever that may be, and if there's a romance thrown in there, it's just a bonus.

L&C, to my mind, was a romance with scifi/fantasy interruptions wink We can change those trappings, in a soulmates story, and not lose anything too important.

Stargate SG-1, in contrast, is about the stories. I like the characters and all, but the show is not about them; they're there to advance the plots. Even the occasional moment of Jack/Sam angst is only thrown in on the side, where convenient.

hmm, I wonder if this will have made any sense...

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K