Okay, after a while of using eDonkey just fine, Annette and Wendy enlightened me <g> as to it's evils. And also the existance of AdAware SE.

There were 3 programs in my uninstall/remove list - Websearch Tools, Search Assistant and WinTools Easy Installer. Trying to remove them didn't work - they didn't only come back, they didn't even have time to disappear. I disconnected myself from the internet and tried again, and the same things happened, meaning that the components for them were stored on my computer. So I disconnected myself off the internet, uninstalled and removed eDonkey, rebooted - and found those programs gone as well. AdAware SE also caught 500+ critical objects - and my last version, 6.0 (even though I ran all the updates regularly), would only catch tracking cookies and two files that kept coming back (Operation Julie's Computer started out by me asking how to get rid of them <g>).

Bottom line is, eDonkey is evil. I got rid of 6 *gigs* of spyware, and my computer is running SO much smoother and faster now.

Julie (very grateful to Wendy and Annette! smile )

Mulder: Imagine if you could come back and take out five people who had caused you to suffer. Who would they be?
Scully: I only get five?
Mulder: I remembered your birthday this year, didn't I, Scully?

(The X-Files)