For those of you who didn't hear, our household computer was hit pretty hard with a virus. In all reality, we'll probably have to wipe the HD clean and start over (thank goodness I was able to save my WIP!! *whew*). But I was wondering if anyone was aware of any of these problems or how to fix them. frown

• the computer restarts randomly
  • runs extremely slow and the cursor always has the hourglass next to it now
  • the computer shuts down when we try to install Norton Antivirus (this, btw, is why you don't let your dad use the computer before you've updated your AV software frown )
  • one of the virus programs we found was called 124497.exe and will not let you delete it and will re-install itself after being un-installed
  • will occasionally get an error box titled "Microsoft Visual C ++ Runtime Library" with the message that winln.exe was closed (or had an error) and says "abnormal prgram termination
  • "web dialer" also seems to be installed, but we've thwarted that by unpluging the modem wink
  • Any attempts to open Explorer is met with a barage of pop ups, upwards of 25 at a time

If you can't help, don't worry, I was able to salvage my files from the HD, so it can't be all that bad, can it?

Sara (who is looking desperatly for a public computer on which I'm allowed to install IRC laugh )

Kerth nominations are opening on March 3!
🏆2024 Kerth Award Posts 🏆.

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, the show, life, and more!

You can also find me on Tumblr and AO3.