I'm not a die-hard Dr Who fan, but I have been watching. I still can't make up my mind whether I like the current incarnation, but I haven't given up yet -- mostly because, on Saturday night, there isn't much by way of competition!

I hate the new logo, which, for some reason, made me think of cardboard and edible cake decorations. I think it looks cheap. I'm not impressed by the start of the new theme tune, either. Both changes struck me as being very unnecessary when I saw the first episode, and neither have grown on me since.

For the the new Daleks I save the biggest 'Ugh!' of all, however. In design terms, they made me think of cutting-edge-1970s-style. (Are we supposed to think 'retro' here?) They also remind me very strongly of a (coincidentally 1970s) paraffin heater than my dad used to use to heat the greenhouse. They certainly don't strike me as menacing.

Maybe old style Daleks were shorter, but I actually think that somehow made them look more frightening, not less. They are alien; giving them proportions that aren't in keeping with human height reinforces that impression.

When I saw the bigger Daleks, I thought, mixed in with all my other less than positive thoughts, that at least the person inside wouldn't have to be so scrunched over and uncomfortable. And that thought jarred me out of the storyline -- not what was intended, I'm sure.

Why would Daleks care about colour, anyway. I can't see them being particularly worried about aesthetics. (Incidentally, am I alone in thinking that the interior of their spaceship was surprisingly bright and cheerful?)

Marcus, as I said, I'm not a die-hard fan, but I think I just might email the Beeb and share my thoughts with them. (I'd already considered doing so, before I saw your post.) Very much to my surprise, I find myself actually caring about this!

Krissie