Yes, there would most definitely be vegetables with the roast beef. Alternatives / additions to carrots and peas might include broccoli and cauliflower, possibly even cabbage and brussel sprouts depending on the time of year and who is cooking. I also like Marcus's notion of parsnips, especially if roasted.

Incidentally, Yorkshire puddings! A big thumbs up! I may not be a huge fan of roast beef, but, oh, those Yorkshire puds!

If you are talking a Sunday lunch / dinner, I would assume that at least some of the potatoes would be roasted.

As for what would be served by way of drink... That would depend on who is doing the serving, to whom, where and also when. (I assume you are talking now, current day. However, times and tastes change, and the amount of wine drunk in the UK has definitely increased over the last twenty-five years or so.)

To be honest, anything goes, but if I were doing a roast dinner at home, with guests, I would be far more likely to offer wine or water than anything else.

I would imagine that red wine is the 'proper' choice to go with beef, but, of course, that depends on the drinkers preferences, too.

Beer or cider are also options, I suppose. Growing up, I lived in cider country (and remember, in Britain, cider is an alcoholic drink, not straight apple juice), my folks sometimes offered guests cider from a nearby cider farm. That, of course, would have had something to do with it being a good, local, treat.

Desserts: my immedate reaction was apple crumble and custard, although this will again depend slightly on the time of year, and whether you can get hold of the apples. (Bramleys are excellent cooking apples.)

Rhubard crumble and custard is also a possibility. Rice pudding, which hadn't crossed my mind, has also been mentioned. Why not? This turned up on the menu when I was a kid. So did apple charlotte, apple meringue, apple snow... (Perhaps I should say, we had an apple tree in the garden.)

Sponge pudding of some description, and custard... That's also a good bet. Also, fresh soft fruits in the summer...

Does that help?

Krissie