Okay, I am doing NaNo this year and have to write a novel (at least 50,000 words between now and the end of November).

I went into it without an outline or even an idea of what to write about. Now that I have started and am getting more organized, I need a reason for a woman in her mid to late 20s to

- feel used and violated
- lose all trust in men, thinking she will or would rather remain single for the rest of her life
- be an emotional wreck but trying hard not to show it
- quit her job, store her stuff and leave the country with no specific destination in mind, just to forget

I don't really want her to be raped but is there anything other than abuse that would be strong enough to trigger that kind of response? This girl really things she will never (again?) be in a relationship and is traveling the world to keep herself occupied so she won't feel the loneliness.

First I thought it could have been something her boss or coworker could have done, like Claude stealing Lois' story etc but that doesn't seem right either.

If her boyfriend/husband/fiance had died, she might feel some of the things mentioned above or do some of it but for different reasons, like she doesn't want to love again because it hurts too much to lose that person.

I also don't want anyone to kill her child (so far she never had one <g>), accidentally or on purpose.

So what's left? A bad enough thing that is not too bad...

I appreciate any ideas, discussions etc. But I do need them soon. Don't know how long I can write around it without giving the specifics.

Thanks,

Natascha