I don't know about that. For starters, look at the robes that man wore. And pink earmuffs. Could you get any GAYER? laugh

And I thought it was a very strong possibility the minute I read the seventh book, although I thought it would just be something for fandom to chew on and fight over. I never thought she'd actually come out and CONFIRM it! I mean, I never thought much about DD's personal life until the 7th book. I mean, before that, it would have been like ruminating about Gandalf's sexual preferences. And then in the 7th book, we were presented with the boy who was Dumbledore - an arrogant, talented young man isolated by his own brilliance until he met his match in Grindelwald. You'll notice how everyone, including Dumbledore, sort of alludes to that summer they were together as if it was some kind of mad fling.

Or maybe you just need to have a naughty gaydar to see it. So it's no wonder I did. laugh

Someone else pointed out that it might have been part of the reason why DD seemed to have such empathy with the ostracized and the outcasts of wizarding society.

I agree that DD suddenly appearing to be gay rings of JKR's trademark tokenism, of which she certainly has been guilty in the past. However, I don't think THIS is just tokenism. DD being gay just fit too perfectly into the story, at least in my view.

As for why it never appeared in the books, well, was there any real need? Unless DD was really out to scar Harry and a good potion of the younger HP readers for life by issuing a post-humus confession : "I had a hot summer fling with Grindelwald a hundred years ago!" If it really HAD appeared in the books, in any other manner than subtext, it would have been perceived as even more blatant tokenism.

Btw, gakked from the lj community ohnotheydidnt:

[Linked Image]

rotflol

“Is he dead, Lois?”

“No! But I was really mad and I wanted to kick him between the legs and pull his nose off and put out his eyes with a freshly sharpened pencil and disembowel him with a dull letter opener and strangle him with his own intestines but I stopped myself just in time!”
- Further Down The Road by Terry Leatherwood.