I know the discussion has come and gone, so I’m probably talking to the wall, but...

I finally caved and bought the book last night. After telling myself repeatedly I wouldn’t be spoiled for the movie. (And knowing that was pretty much a lie.) Anyway, I liked it. I didn’t love it. To me, there’s nothing that rivals The Death and Life of Superman. But I thought, on the whole, it was a good read, and no character was ripped asunder.

Also, I’m going to agree with someone way up thread-- I think it was Anna – because I found elements of fanfic which were more thoughtful than most other Superman novels offer.

First, the feeling of ‘homelessness.’ Being the Last Son and going back on a mission that only brings pain and sorrow to find there really is nothing left, save him. And, augh, how I hated/loved that it was Luthor who set that up. A truly horrible, dastardly deed worthy of a criminal mastermind. Wrenching, too.

And then flying over to Lois’s new home. Watching her interact with her family, and repeatedly telling himself that Richard is good for her, she has moved on, it’s not his place to interfere. And yet, as soon as opportunity presents, he meets Lois on the roof of the Daily Planet. I liked their awkward exchange. I liked that he was uncomfortable and fumbling as Superman, and she knew and recognized that.

I’m also glad there was no big ‘the child is yours!’ reveal. But rather how subtly it was implied. That he (see, I’ve forgotten his name already) could see Superman in the water from the helicopter when no one else could. That he’s this sickly, timid-seeming child who is likely to grow into something else all together. And while I’m not as sternly anti-child as Tank, I have to say I’m Not Ready to read that comic yet.

Last thing... since now I’m just rambling on to the wall... the whole Why the World Doesn’t Need a Superman/I’m not a savior/god theme. Loved that.

I love that while he knows and embraces his destiny to save, he doesn’t want to be different, certainly not worshipped. I liked the bit where he sees the statue of himself in Centennial Park with the word ‘savior’ on it, and he’s chagrined. I liked that during the shuttle rescue, he acknowledges that he’s not the one putting his life on the line. He’s super-powered. The astronauts aren’t. Why should he get all the accolades? Also, the worry that it’s bad for the world to grow too dependent on him. All of that, to me, is the juicy/fun stuff of Superman. It fills him in, makes him less two-dimensional. Still good, always good, but not without struggling with his role in the world, where and how he fits.

Really, truly the last thing: Lois smoking. Remember, she has been around since Superman was beating up Nazis. Well before the Surgeon General told us those things would kill us. I wouldn’t want her white-washed, her edges are what make her so endlessly interesting.

I believe this concludes this little chat with myself. Now that I’m properly spoiled, I cannot wait for the movie!

CC

Well... the absolutely, positively last thing. Lex Luthor. I’ll be interested to see how Kevin Spacey plays him. He was certainly diabolical, all that is pure evil in the book, but since I’m one of those who adores MR’s more shaded LL to bits and pieces, I was having trouble picturing Spacey's.

All done now.

** leaves whistling Superman theme **

You mean we're supposed to have lives?

Oh crap!

~Tank