I've always been fascinated by the origins of expressions. Someone's stealing your thunder ? Well, did you know back in 1709, someone really did steal someone's thunder? goofy

I like wandering around World Wide Words , which is a site that explains "international English from a British viewpoint." A lot of common words and expressions are thoroughly explained there. smile

Earlier, I was skimming through some threads on the boards, and I came across a question Sileas asked in the final feedback folder for her story, Steel Knights:

the ep don't tug on superman's cape (why did they call it that?)
If you look back at the episode titles for L&C, you'll find that some of them are quite clever. For example, try and wrap your head around "Tempus Fugitive" when you know that tempus fugit means "time flies" in Latin. wink

Now, as for "Don't Tug On Superman's Cape", it's something I've always heard, but I never knew where it really came from. And after a bit of light googling, I still don't. blush

I'd always heard this as "Three Tips To Live By" or some variation thereof.

Don't tug on Superman's cape.
Don't spit into the wind.
Don't eat yellow snow.
goofy

A Google search turned up this song by Jim Croce - You Don\'t Mess Around With Jim . It was a big hit in 1972 (in America laugh ). His version goes a little different:

And they say
'You don't tug on Superman's cape
You don't spit into the wind
You don't pull the mask off the old Lone Ranger
And you don't mess around with Jim'
Now, the real question is, who are "they"? 100 bonus points to whoever can tell me. goofy

Anyway, I'm assuming we're all supposed to avoid tugging on Superman's cape so we don't tick him off. wink

Does any one have any other good sites to share?

Sara smile

Kerth nominations are opening on March 3!
🏆2024 Kerth Award Posts 🏆.

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, the show, life, and more!

You can also find me on Tumblr and AO3.