Writer 1: "OK, I finally have the script for this episode done. I'm really proud of it. Tell me what you think!"

Writer 2: "Uh oh, we have a little problem here ... I see where you're going with this plot, but I'm afraid the fans won't get it. There's just way too much nuance."

Writer 1: "But ... but ... I worked really hard on all that nuance. I mean, this is a *smart* script ... look, the characters are well balanced, the setting is realistic."

Writer 2: "Hello! What do you think I'm talking about?? These characters are way too gray ... we need black and white, black and white! Do you really think our viewers will understand under *subtle*?? They're not exactly rocket scientists, you know."

Writer 1: "Well, *I* understood it. But all right, if you say so. OK, so make all the characters into over the top paradies of real life, check. But I can keep the recruiting storyline realistic, right?"

Writer 2: "What are you, stoned? No, no, no! I want to see rowdy fraternity parties where there are no ethics, ditzy sorority girls who are all whores! Have the whole freakin' college roll out the red carpet for a high school player who has only played one season! Throw in every NCAA violation you can think of! We want even viewers in a coma to be able to understand our message on this one! Hit them over the head! Preach, preach, preach! Oh yeah, and make sure the trampy girls all show a lot of skin."

Writer 1: "Sigh ... well, can I at least keep the last five minutes, where I show, once again, the Chloe is the perfect girl for Clark? I mean, I know Lois is here and all, but I really dig Chloe and you know, it's kind of become my trademark."

Writer 2: "Oh, all right ... we can work with that. But be sure to keep that short bit at the end where Lois tricks Clark into letting her stay at his place. It's cute. But make her reasons for getting kicked out of college much more absurd -- why ruin a perfectly unrealistic episode by having things make sense at the end?"

Writer 1: "Well, back to the drawing board!"

Kathy