Hi Mel:
Wow, that's too bad.
Come to find out, if you enter your code three times incorrectly, they figure you are a crook up to some kind of fraud, and they disable your code and your card.
Usually it's incorrectly in one session, but you found your answer. I'll also point out that anyone expecting to use a credit card in another country better call their credit card company and let them know. This includes FoLCs coming to LAFF from outside the US.

To give an example:
Last summer we used our credit card liberally in England and Scotland (bumping up the GNP) and had no troubles because we had called the company and given the dates of travel. Later in the year, around Christmas, I ordered some Golden Jubilee china from Majesty Magazine. The credit card was rejected and I got a call from their shipping department. So after my expected travel dates a clamp had been put *on* the credit card again. Anyway, I made a phone call and the credit was granted and my merchandise arrived in good order. Similarly, just before we left for Australia, New Zealand and Fiji, we again called the card company and they noted it in their files. We had no trouble spending liberally there, either.

cool
Artemis

History is easy once you've lived it. - Duncan MacLeod
Writing history is easy once you've lived it. - Artemis