I've been alternating between watching Lois & Clark and Buffy the Vampire Slayer DVDs when I work out. Since I know several people on this board like both shows, I wanted to hear what you thought. Why does the Lois & Clark relationship work so well when Buffy's boyfriends just don't? Both Clark and Buffy have 'superpowers'. Both are fighting against evil for the forces of good. Both have concerns that their partner, being normal, would be vulnerable (think of Riley here for Buffy). Clark and Buffy are normal emotional beings that need love and support which they get from parents, friends and significant others.

So why does the romantic relationship work for Lois & Clark but not for Buffy?

Could it be the general tone of the shows? Superman tends to be lighter in nature. While Superman deals with villains, demons from Hell might be considered to pack more of a punch at a deeper level. Is Buffy's world so dark that she doesn't want to drag some one 'normal into it? But...there's her friends that have been there all along. Of course she cares about them and their safety.

Is it due to the nature of their power? The Slayer comes from darker forces?

Is it merely a sexist issue? That men have trouble dealing with a powerful woman? Then again, Angel and Spike were just as powerful as Buffy but neither of those relationships went very far.

Or maybe Josh Wheddon wanted to keep an angsty tone so Buffy will never have a successful romance as a result?

What do you think?

Joan