From the article:
while bad spellers, for whom language is a conduit and not an end in itself, can excel at representation and reportage.
Hmm... sounds like a certain reporter we might know... wink Whose initials are LL... laugh

And PS, typos drive me crazy.
I once sent typos in to a publisher from an ebook I was reading, appalled by the lack of editing.
Book-error fanatics tell me you rarely get a response when you point out typos to publishers.
*sigh* So true... they didn't care for my list of errors or short rant on the sad state of publishing... In hindsight, though, I realized that it's quite possible that books (especially reprints and/or ebooks) are more than likely edited by a computer and not a person these days... also part of the problem, as the article pointed out.

Anyway, I try to always check my spelling before posting anything. And though things aren't always perfect, I do expect well-educated people to try to spell correctly and check for errors, even on online forums. When I was working on my Masters in Education online, it would drive me nuts to see how many 'future teachers' had horrible spelling and grammar sense... maybe at 30 I'm already a fuddy-duddy grammarian. wink

Reach for the moon, for even if you fail, you'll still land among the stars... and who knows? Maybe you'll meet Superman along the way. wink