It depends on what type of farming you're writing about. There is a homesteading movement going on all over the country- probably all over the world- where people are buying farmland and using it to grow food and stock to provide food for themselves and for sale at farmer's markets. Because of the many contaminant recalls of produce in recent years there is a demand for organically grown food and animals. Even family farms are moving over to growing garden produce rather than crops like wheat and corn. A neighbor to the south of me grows tomatoes and melons for local supermarket chains instead of traditional crops and makes a good living at it. Goats are also becoming prevalent as stock. Because of religious beliefs a lot of immigrant families in the area can't eat mass produced meat and prefer to buy goats and calves from farmers and handle the slaughter themselves at local meat markets to insure "clean" meat for their families. Another neighbor of mine raises goats and cattle for that demand.
I'm a veterinarian and my profession is affected by the homesteaders who won't treat their stock with chemicals/medication when they get sick or have infections.