When I was a kid I used spread my arms and say that I loved my mother that big, now that I’m an adult, I tell her that I love her from here to Pluto than back, plus the universe five times. I always come up with crazy numbers, and stuff.

When I spent my vacations at my grandma’s farm, we had this little ritual that I miss until this day. At night after I took a bath I’d lay down at bed with her while grandpa watched TV, and we would do crosswords together, she would ask me only the easy ones.

Then she took me to my bedroom and we would pray to God and thank him for our days, she would tuck me in and say she loved me more today than yesterday, but not as much as tomorrow. Not those exact words, because she would say it in Portuguese, but that was what it meant.

And when I’d wake up, she would give me milk chocolate for breakfast, then she would put little pieces of bread in it so I could eat. We called it scuba diving. It was so fun, and those were moments I only cherished with grandma.

Every time I see her I say I love her more today than yesterday, but not as much as tomorrow. sloppy