Thanks to the gentle readers for their kind words.

I was inspired (?) to write this story for two reasons. One; this unfounded reputation I have for evilness. If you were to check my meager output you would find that ALL my stories have happy endings. I'm just the waff king of Lois and Clark (or something like that). Kaethel accused my of always killing Jimmy and cutting Lois' hair. For the record, I've never killed Jimmy in any 'official' story I've written (he's just not important enough to kill). The worst I've ever done is to let Ralph beat him up a bit. So you can see that my reputation is a total fabrication. As for Lois' hair...

Tne other inspiration is something my buddy shared with me (and our other friends) recently. He's been going with this same woman for a time. They are both in their forties and have a 'comfortable' relationship. He took her to a nice restaurant for their third 'anniversary' a short time back. A one point during the evening Melanie excused herself and went to the powder room. Upon her return she knelt down in front of my friend and took his hand. She placed a ring she had gotten for him on his hand and asked "Will you marry me?"

My friend said that the entire restaurant had gotten very quiet and everyone was staring at them. So, I guess real life can be as unreal as a fanfic story sometimes.

Thanks again for the comments.

Tank (who says that the ring wasn't an actual wedding band but a signet type ring with the celtic symbol of St. Patrick on it, which was pretty cool for a guy named Patrick McDonough)