Oooh, ooh, law question! (1L here {g}). Warning: None of the following can be construed as official legal advice. I'm not a licensed attorney (yet). :p

Larceny - taking and carrying away the goods of another, without the latter's consent and with the felonious intent to permanently deprive the owner of his property. Often by fraud or stealth.

Grand Larceny - when the property value exceeds a specified amount (established by statute in the jurisdiction).

Compound larceny - ordinary larceny aggravated by taking from one's house or person.

The whole theory behind larceny is that it's something taken by fraud or stealth.

Robbery, on the other hand, is the felonious taking of money or goods of value from the person of another or in his presence, against his will, by force or by putting him in fear.

So from what I can tell, the weapon changes the offense from larceny to robbery.

But I can ask my crim law professor tomorrow to be certain. smile

Bethy (who, pathetically enough, can recite the dictionary definition for burglary from memory...oy)

(It's the breaking and entering of the dwellinghouse of another, at night, with the intent to commit a felony therein, in case you were curious. And no, the felony doesn't have to be stealing, which is what I used to think burglary was.)

I don't suffer from insanity...I enjoy every minute of it.