Well, I'm an American educated in Virginia and New Jersey and I have never heard of "passive" voice until now. If the teacher thought something sounded better one way than another they would just tell you. I can't remember exactly how they explained it but I know for sure that they never used the term "passive voice". I know one teacher was big on what she called "first person".

I was always good at doing History or English term papers(usually A's) in school but in fiction writing (B's & C's) I'm terrible. In 9th grade my teached said he based my grades not on the actual story but for my ideas and told me if I had written more I could get an A. That is the reason I don't write any fanfic stories. The ideas come but I can't flesh out a story.

Like so many of you I agree that passive has it's place. I do have a feeling that some of you are so concerned about your writing style that you miss the fact that you confuse your pronouns. Example:

....He took his hand and gave it a squeeze. When what you meant to say was...He took her hand and gave it a squeeze.

The first time I came across something like that I thought why is he doing that to himself. Then I went back and re-read it and realized the writer had gotten the his/her confused.

Regardless of your confused pronouns or "passive voice" I have to applauded clap all that post stories here to be read and critiqued for having a ton more courage than I. So I will continue to enjoy your stories regardless of the "passive voice taboo" and do Beta-reading when asked.