Let's say a person wanted to leave a letter and a valuable or two (stuff that would fit in a safe deposit box) to a minor child, when the child was of legal age.

Let's also say the person was dying, and wouldn't be around when the child grew up. Oh, yeah, and there were no family members other than the person and the minor child.

And let's say that the person wanted absolutely no one else to see these items.

How would they do that?

Rent a safe deposit box and prepay the rent to the child's 18th year? Could they do that? (I know you can prepay rent and arrange for the fees to be taken out of a bank account, but a bank account wouldn't be usable after the person's death, would it?)

Set up a trustee to pay the rent until the 18th year, then have the trustee contact the child? (Not my preferred method. Let's say the person really, really, REALLY didn't want to chance the trustee seeing the stuff. Can a trustee be accountable for fees only but have no access to a safe deposit box?)

Leave the stuff with a reputable lawyer, in a sealed package, and have the child contacted after the 18th birthday? How would the payment work on that?

Thanks!

~Toc

TicAndToc :o)

------

"I have six locks on my door all in a row. When I go out, I lock every other one. I figure no matter how long somebody stands there picking the locks, they are always locking three."
-Elayne Boosler