The comma poll sent me hunting and I found a nice, succinct summary of commas usage. It's so good, I'm going to take the time and effort to type it here. This is from "Instant Spelling Dictionary" which is a small handy desk reference for "All persons who write, dictate, transcribe or check the writing of others." The book contains 25,000 English words with tips on spelling, pronounciation and word division at the end of line. Since there is no UBB code for underline, I'm going bold the underlined words. The italics are theirs.

USE OF THE COMMA (pg. 272)

1. The comma (,) is used after an adverbial dependent clause when the dependent clause precedes the main clause. When the dependent clause does not begin the sentence, the comma is usually unnecessary.
After the director had read the minutes of the meeting, he called for the financial report.
The director called for the financial report after he had read the minutes of the meeting
2. The comma is used after a participial phrase or and absolute phrase at the beginning of a sentence.
Seeing the foreman enter the plant, he quickly went to work.
The rain having stopped, we went to work.
3. The comma is used after an introductory infinitive phrase.
To be successful, you must read widely.
4. The comma is used to set off parenthetical expressions, whether words, phrases, or clauses.
(a) Transitional words such as however, therefore, moreover, besides, consequently should be set off by commas.
Consequently, I did not receive an answer to his letter.
(b) Phrases such as so to speak, in short, as a result, of course should be set off by commas.
We found, in short, many errors in his work. Of course, there are many ways to tackle the problem.
(c) Clauses such as I think. we suppose, he says should be set off by commas.
Someone, I suppose, should check the report.
(d) Explanatory expressions, such as and I agree with him, so far as his is concerned, etc., which break the logical sequence of words should be set of by commas.
The president disliked the policy, and I agreed with him, of letting all eomployees name their vacation time.
5. The comma is used after introductory expressions such as yes, indeed, surely (when it means yes), well.
Yes, I will attend to the matter.
6. The comma is used to set off a nonrestrictive clause. A nonrestrictive clause is set off because it is not needed to complete the meaning of a sentence. A nonrestrice clause is similar to a parenthetical expression in that it gives added information about the word it modifies.
Restrictive clauses are never set off by commas. A restrictive clause is a clause that is neede to complete the meaning of the sentence because the clause identifies the word it modifies. A restrictive clause cannot be left out of a sentence, whereas a nonrestrictive clause can be.
The girl who lives next door came to work in our office. (The clause who lives next door is restrictive because it is needed to identify the word girl. The clause is not set off by commas.)
Mary Jones, who lives next dorr, came to work in our office. (The clause who lives next door is nonrestrictive because it is not needed to identify the name Mary Jones. The name Mary Jones clearly identifies the person being talked about , and the clause merely gives added information about the person Mary Jones.)
7. The comma is used to set off words in apposition. An appositive is a word or phrase that defines or identifies another word. An appositive means the same as the word it defines.
Jones, our office manager, is ill.
Robert Brown, our sales manager, is a capable man.
8. The comma is used to set off words used in direct address.
We regreat, Mr. Thomas, that your order was unsatisfactorily filled.
9. The comma is used to separate a series of three or more words, phrases, or clauses. thumbsup
She asked for paper, pencils, and a ruler.
He stalked off the stage, turned around, came back, and glared at the audience.
At the meeting it was decide to (1) give two weeks' vacation with pay, (2) give pensions at age sixty-five, (3)establish a profit sharing plan.
Ed: Note there is not an and before (3).

- continued in next post -
cool
Artemis

History is easy once you've lived it. - Duncan MacLeod
Writing history is easy once you've lived it. - Artemis