While I was trying to jog my brain into some kind of logical answer to this one, Pam nipped in before me and saved me the trouble.

Which is longhand for 'me too'. goofy

I think putting snippets of your own experiences and moments from your life into a story are very different from Mary Sueism.

Personally, I don't do a lot of the former, but I have occasionally in the past. Probably the nearest example was my contribution to ML Thompson's World Tour story, which was basically just a reworking of a wonderfully memorable day my husband and I spent at Dunfermline Abbey, one summer, and the sights and impressions I had that day.

In Star Trek fic, the example is the beautiful young ensign whom Kirk falls madly in love with, only to grieve forever when she's tragically killed.
Or decide to give up his career and the Enterprise for, so that they can ride off into the sunset together and live happily ever after - which was in many ways much worse! goofy

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers