This is a fascinating discussion, Kaylle, and I'm glad you brought it over to this folder. I might be too late to the party, since it seems to have been discussed a bit on the poll thread, but I think you make some really interesting points.

From the other thread:
As for changing one's lexicon... That's harder to quantify. And of course now that I've said it, I can't think of the words that are frowned upon.
I can think of some, though I can't list them in this thread because we're in the gfic side of things. <g>

But trying to be vague, I know there are certain words that I would not use in an L&C love scene (read: sex scene), that I might use when writing nfic for another couple/fandom. There are simply phrases that would not be in character for L&C, and would definitely raise eyebrows were they to be used in an nfic in our fandom. Yet those same phrases/descriptions might fit perfectly while writing a love/sex scene for another couple.

As for how well-regarded fics end in L&C, I think you are right that we expect there to be a resolution -- that the characters will fall in love and overcome whatever obstacle is in their path, and they will be together forever after. To a certain extent, I think that's how the show set them up -- there are probably many romantic couples out there whose fans *consider* soulmates, but how many of those can actually say they have in-canon proof that they are? laugh So I would say that super-dark stories, or those that pair the characters happily with someone else, are not in keeping with the tone of the show -- the undying love/romance is the whole point, which is why it keeps coming up in fic.

I know for myself, the thing that made L&C so different for me is the "us against the world" feeling of their relationship. It's the reason I coined the term "together angst" vs "apart angst" way back when. What makes L&C special is that they *can't* stay away from each other ... that they are drawn to each other, even when they try to stay away. So while there have been stories where L&C do not end up together, those stories would not be to my tastes, no matter how well done they are. For me, I watch/read to see L&C get together.

Now that said, do I think that every story has to end with them declaring their "I love yous" and riding off into the sunset? No, I don't. I think you can absolutely end a story with the "promise of more". The difference, I think, would be how strong that promise was.

In your SW excerpt, for example, I love that the couple always manages to sabotage their chances for a relationship with someone else because they are secretly pining for each other. But if the story ends by telling us that they never get together, that they spend their entire lives apart and never really figuring out why no one else measures up, that's kind of sad. OTOH, if the story ends on an upbeat note, with the reader knowing that they have feelings for each other and leaving thing hanging to the point where you can just see where the sequel would go (them getting together, once and for all), then that could well be considered a happy ending.

All right, I'm sure there were other points I was going to make, but I think I'm staring to ramble so I'm going to end it here and see if anyone else picks up the ball. <g>

Oh, except to add that I thought your OF excerpt was fabulous, Kaylle. I can definitely see what you mean by there being a different style, a bit more minimalist, but I was drawn in from the beginning. I am, however, a dialogue-heavy writer myself (or at least I like to consider myself one), so that is something that hooks me. I prefer to have well-done, realistic dilaogue tell me what's going on, as long as it's moving things forward and there are enough description tags to help me visualize and feel the scene, and I definitely found that in the exerpt your posted.

Kathy