The editorial is TOTALLY separate from the original article and the analysis piece. It is written by an editorial writer, not a reporter. It is assigned by the Editorial Desk, not the Metro Desk or the State Desk or the National Desk (whoever assigned the articles). It is edited by the Editorial Desk Editor. Not only will the reporters not be involved in the writing of the editorial, they won't even see it until it hits the stands the next morning. The reporters who wrote the original story/analysis piece ABSOLUTELY CAN NOT write the editorial. Reporters and Editorial Writers are totally separate. Reporters should never write opinion pieces at all (even if it's not something they covered) because it is a display of bias and one of the most important parts of being a reporter is to appear unbiased at all times. They CERTAINLY cannot display an obvious bias for the story they are covering.
What I thought, but now I have my answer.

Thanks for everything Annie, it certainly did help a lot...plus I'll be able to meet deadlines, which doesn't hurt. smile1