I really enjoyed the quizzes about kisses and opening lines, etc. One thing they did was remind me of some fantastic fanfic and I had a wonderful time rereading a lot of old favourites.

I had a thought that maybe we could share memorable moments in fanfics with each other - you know, those moments that we tend to reread over and over again, those moments that really resonate with the reader.

I'm not going to write this as a quiz. Instead I'm just going to share a memorable moment from one of my favourite fics, and I'd encourage everyone else to do the same.

Be warned, that there will most definitely be spoilers involved in this thread.

From Masques by Labrat:

Despite herself, she jerked back several paces, swallowing hard over the sudden tightening of her throat. And then he blinked, like a man emerging from a dream - or a nightmare - and that glow faded, winking out so abruptly that it was hard to imagine it had ever been there at all, had ever been anything more than a figment of her imagination, brought on by anguish and terror and the stress of everything she had suffered here. And he was Clark again. Just Clark. Her Clark. Here.

He was here.

"Lois...?" he whispered, as though she was the last person in the world he had expected to see, and her heart almost broke in two at the hitch of pain in his voice.

Heedlessly, he dropped Archer, the man sprawling to the ground in an ungainly heap as he was discarded. The soldier rolled over clumsily to his hands and knees, retching as he recovered lost breath, then, prudently, scrambled shakily to his feet, turned tail, and ran. He didn't look back as he vanished out of sight around the corner of the hallway.

Lois forgot him in the same instant that she met the eyes of the superhero. These eyes she remembered. Full of joy and relief and love. A twister of emotions blazing out at her with a heat and intensity that made her dizzy all at once.

"Lois..." he said again, as though he couldn't quite believe that she was there, and then she was running. Running the small amount of space, the intolerable space, that existed between them. He caught her as she barreled into him and she was swept up into his arms as he dragged her close and hard against him with a hoarse, inarticulate cry...pulling her into his embrace and holding her tight till she couldn't breathe.

The scent of him surrounded her - that familiar, longed-for scent that she would have known anywhere and which had lately haunted her dreams. It permeated the very soul of her and she closed her eyes, a moan escaping her as she buried her face against a solid shoulder.

She felt him tremble against her, heard the breath expel itself from him in a shuddering sigh, and then he angled his head slightly, pressing his cheek against the crown of her hair. His hand came up to cup at the back of her head, applying gentle pressure.

"Lois..." he murmured, a sigh of shaken breath against her ear, and she heard the sound of tears, thick in those words, that were almost a prayer. "Oh god, Lois..."

~@*****@~

I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once.