I used to write when the Muse struck, starting or stopping WIPs according to what she came up with for me... but over the years I've gotten into more and more situations of writing for a deadline -- first, writing for S5/S6, and then later, posting in segments to message boards. I find deadlines to be wonderful motivators. wink

That's just me; my friend Chris wrote for S6, and declared she was never ever going to do that to herself again <g>

When I have a story in progress, and I know more-or-less where I'm going, and I have some quiet, uninterrupted, "don't have to pay attention to anything but fic" time... then I can write to order pretty well... especially if I'm on a deadline <g>

However, for the last year or so, I really haven't had any uninterrupted time frown so I expect I'd have more trouble getting back into the swing of things, so to speak.

Occasionally, I'll get struck in the head by a paragraph, a scene, a whole story -- and then it can flow out even under adverse circumstances (Nick Jr. blaring a few feet away, for instance). But that's pretty rare, unfortunately.

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K