I just had a thought bunny, which I don't think I'll use...

What if, instead of Lois dying when they consummate their love, Clark loses his powers? (Kind of like Supes 2, only a different cause...)

I'm thinking alt-Clark and alt-Lois, of course. And I'm thinking at some point Lois was shot with a green K bullet, or stabbed with a green K dagger, or holding a piece of Kryptonite or wearing a piece of jewelry made from green K, when she was shot or something. Anyway, she recovers from the wound, but still has green K dust inside of her and Clark knows this. It isn't enough to kill him, but being around Lois makes him lose his powers, so alt-Clark would have to chose between being human and in a loving relationship with Lois and having everyone know he gave up being Superman for her or being Superman and not having Lois.

Now, there's a curse that would make even Tempus proud. I know, it's evil. evil And I'm not feeling that evil at the moment...

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.