So you're saying that the government (or some portion thereof) was in cahoots with Lex about the space-program sabotage? I don't think you could get very much of the government to participate -- they leak goofy so nothing would be secret for long. And Luthor was very cavalier about murder; I like to think our gov't, for the most part, is above that.

Maybe if it was a Congressman Harrington-type deal... a Senator has a pet project and can't get funding for it, sees what the space station costs, and thinks, hey, we can get somebody else to do this so we can use the money on better things. It could even be dressed up to look like a noble motive -- wanting to expand the school lunch program for needy children, or whatever. Or maybe there's a health care bill that's costing way more than they thought and they need to raise revenue somewhere... the Senator probably told Luthor to do it without loss of life, but we all know that Luthor wouldn't care.

Could be all sorts of fun investigating. The Senator would be distancing himself as much as possible, and covering up any meetings w/Luthor.

Although -- hmm, the space station had already been built, apparently, so most of the money would already have been spent, so they wouldn't have that much money to recapture. That might throw a spanner in the works. Still, I'm sure someone could make it work.

PJ

p.s. to Super Fan: We didn't watch the show for the plots goofy Not sure I agree with you, but I do know that I don't much care smile

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K