I'm feeling grumpy at the moment, because when I read Terry's fic where Lois becomes corrupted and evil, I asked for a fic where Clark becomes corrupted and evil. Now such a fic has been posted, but the whole point of it - at least the whole point of part two of it - is to show us that Clark actually can't be corrupted and evil! (Ah, but Lois can!) frown

Another thing about Lois is that her soul can be incarnated into another person's body. So Clark can live on in his own body and interact with a reincarnated Lois in another body. As a non-religious person, I have enormous problems with the mere concept of reincarnation. More than that, however, I think the idea of reincarnation threatens the idea of indivuality and uniqueness in a way that I find deeply troubling. Suppose Lois's soul is incarnated in another woman's body. Then what happens with that other woman's own soul? Does it just disappear? Should that other woman be regarded as an empty vessel with no soul of her own, or with a soul that can conveniently be removed so that another, more "worthy" soul can take its place? Isn't that some sort of "murder"?

So I don't like reincarnation stories as such. But again I notice that there is a difference in how Lois and Clark are treated when it comes to reincarnation. Lois is reincarnated in such an important LnC multiparter as Nan's Home series, and Dandello has also written a story where a reincarnated Lois interacts with the "real" Clark. Clark, to my knowledge, has never been reincarnated in any LnC story. Is that because Clark is too unique and irreplacable as himself?

I thought we might rectify the problem of the lack of reincarnated Clarks on these boards, which is why I'm launching my "Reincarnate Clark Kent" challenge here! I call it "Meet Mr. Jones". This, by the way, is Mr. Jones:

[Linked Image]

Mr. Jones, who I choose to call Bill, is an ordinary-looking and rather skinny guy, as you can see. He looks nice enough, if you ask me, but nothing special.

Here's the deal. The real Clark Kent is dead - for real - and his soul has been reincarnated into Mr. Jones's body. (It's anyone's guess what happened to Mr. Jones's own soul.)

Mr Jones, Bill, doesn't know that he is the reincarnated Clark Kent. He doesn't remember being Clark Kent. His name certainly isn't Clark Kent, and he hasn't been raised by Martha and Jonathan Kent. (Maybe, possibly, he has strange dreams sometimes about being able to fly.)

But Mr Jones is a compulsive do-gooder, precisely because he is Clark Kent. So what would he do with his need to do good? No, he can't "regain" his powers. He has to remain an ordinary guy for the rest of his life. So what will he do with himself and his life?

I'm looking forward to seeing you tell us about the life of Mr. Jones! hyper

Ann