Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Active Threads | Active Posts | Unanswered Today | Since Yesterday | This Week
Lois & Clark Fanfic Jump to new posts
Re: A Chance Meeting In A Parking Lot (1/1) Queen of the Capes 05/09/24 04:40 AM
I'm trying an experiment:

FDK goes right here, below the story.

Anyway, I hope you all like it; this is a WIP that's been sitting on my hard drive for a while, and I decided to finally dust it off and post it as a short. I don't really have any idea where it's going, but I really missed writing on my laptop in the middle of the night, and now here we are. smile If the premise speaks to you, feel free to take it and run.
1 67 Read More
A Chance Meeting In A Parking Lot (1/1) Queen of the Capes 05/09/24 04:35 AM
“Oh! Clark! There you are!”

Clark looked up with a start. His partner stood in front of the entrance to the CostMart, one hand gripping the handle of an over-flowing shopping cart while the other cradled...a baby?! Never mind the questions of how and why Lois had come to California; how and why was she nursing a baby?!

“Give me a hand with these, will you?” she ordered, pushing the cart towards him and then adjusting the baby's position against her...her...chest...area. It suckled enthusiastically, unperturbed at being jostled. “I swear that one wheel is cemented in place!”

She started off into the parking lot. Clark stared after her for a moment before obediently following with the loaded cart. She led him to a car in the parking section reserved for mothers. Was that why she had brought a baby with her? Wait, that didn't make any sense! “Lois, what is all this?” he demanded.

“Oh, there was a good sale,” she replied, as if that explained everything. Keeping her grip on the hungry infant, she fished a key out of her purse. “We'll be over budget for the week, but it works out better in the long run!” She turned the key in the trunk, brought her free hand down hard against it, then gave a satisfied smile when it yawned open.

“Here, hold him for a minute so I can check the receipt,” Lois said, suddenly handing off ten pounds of wriggling baby. “Yes, that's right; here's Daddy,” she cooed, then turned her attention to the long scroll of paper sticking out from one of the bags.

“Daddy?!” Clark sputtered, feeling even more lost as he adjusted his hold on the tot. “Lois, what happened to 'Lois Lane and babies don't mix'? Or the fact that you wouldn't go out with me if I were the last man on Earth? When did all that suddenly change?!”

She stared off into the middle distance, a wistful smile on her face. “Yeah, it seems like only yesterday, doesn't it?” She glanced down at the receipt again. “Speaking of which, you wouldn't believe what this place is charging for diapers! If I were me, I'd seriously look into this blatant price-gouging!”

“If you were...what?” Clark suddenly became aware of someone standing right behind him. He turned slowly, coming face to face with...himself. “...Uh...?”

Lois looked between the two versions of himself, and the color suddenly drained from her face. “Oh...oh no...”

Clark's doppelganger wordlessly held his hands out for the child. On instinct, Clark handed the baby over. The kid snuggled up against the look-alike's chest, unaware of Clark's newfound existential crisis.

“Mr. Kent, I presume?” the doppelganger said softly.

Clark nodded. “Uh, who...uh...”

Lois stared at the newcomer while pointing at Clark. “I thought—”

“I know,” his double replied.

Lois frowned. “But why—?”

The look-alike shrugged. “I don't know.” He turned to Clark. “What brings you out to the west coast, Mr. Kent?”

It took Clark a while to find his voice. “My...uh...my aunt,” he managed. “Mom asked me to check on her, and she asked me to run some errands...” He fished Aunt Opal's grocery list out of his pocket and held it up.

Lois turned to his double again. “I thought your Aunt Opal lived in Wichita?”

“Mine did,” the doppelganger replied. “I'm guessing his doesn't.”

“What exactly is going on, here?” Clark asked, glancing around the lot for hidden cameras. His eyes landed on a large van, and he wondered if Rod Serling was standing behind it, narrating.

The other two exchanged a look. “We're just grocery shopping,” Lois replied.

“I SEE THAT!” Clark snapped. He waved both hands towards his double. “But you look like me!” He motioned to Lois. “And you have a baby! And..and apparently there's another Aunt Opal? Am I in the Twilight Zone?!”

The baby fussed in his double's arms. The man bounced a little and made shushing noises. “Okay, okay. You're right; this is a very weird situation.” His voice dropped further. “The truth is, we're from another universe.”

Clark tried to respond to that, but no words were forthcoming. “A...what?” he finally managed.

“Can we not talk about this in the parking lot?” Lois whispered. “My husband and I are having enough trouble adapting without the whole neighborhood thinking we're crazy.”

“Your...what?” said Clark.

“It's a long story,” his counterpart explained, “but the short version is that we live here now. We've been trying not to interfere with your life too much, but...now that you've seen us...”

Lois scribbled something down on a notebook, tore the page out, and handed it to him. “Drop by around ten tonight, California time, and we'll tell you everything.” She paused. “But before we go, do you think you could help us put all this stuff in the car?”

End
1 67 Read More
Fanfic Challenge Jump to new posts
Re: FDK Scavenger Hunt: May 2024 Smallville Girl 05/09/24 01:59 AM
oooh! I got third!

Lois and Clark Meet...Lois and Clark? by Deadly Chakram
4 171 Read More
Re: FDK: Lois and Clark Meet...Lois and Clark? (1/1) Smallville Girl 05/09/24 01:57 AM
Aww, that was so cute! I love reading a new time travel/dimension hopping story smile

Clark gave Wells an apologetic look before following Lois into the park, toward the too-bright area where the fountain stood. He had to jog to catch up with her as she stormed her way diagonally across the grass to meet up with the deserted pathway. He shook his head to himself in amusement. He was the fastest man alive, and yet Lois could outpace him in “Metropolis Walking Speed” any day. He gently tugged on her sleeve to get her attention.

“Hey, wait up,” he urged, pretending to be winded from trying to match her speed.

LOL, fastest man alive, yet Lois could outpace him in “Metropolis Walking Speed” any day. Definitely takes Superman to keep up with her.

Clark raised a skeptical eyebrow. “Lois, are you forgetting that we live in a world where there’s a man who can fly and bounce bullets off his chest?” he teased.

The barest hint of a smile cracked the corner of her lips into an upward curve. “No. But that’s different.”

I love how Lois sees Superman. She's so in awe of him, yet accepts him completely. It's perfectly natural to her that there is a man that flies.

Then she snapped her fingers. “Wait a second! How did you guys even get here? Don’t tell me that time machine thing actually is real!” Her eyes gleamed with excitement.

Clark rubbed the back of his neck in his uneasiness. “Um…”

Lois looked mildly alarmed. “How did you…?”

“It is!” Teri crowed triumphantly. “And H. G. Wells? And Tempus?”

“That was a fun episode,” Dean added with a smile. “Lane was a lot of fun to work with. Kinda hoping we get to revisit Tempus at some point.”

“Well…Mr. Wells appears to be the real deal,” Lois responded before Clark could, and cutting off the note of nostalgia in Dean’s voice. “And he says there’s a guy named Tempus. We haven’t actually met him. At least…I don’t think we have. Wells seemed a little…weird. He acts like we’ve met him before or something but he’s been a bit…secretive about answering our questions about it. Honestly, trying to figure this all out is giving me a headache.”

Dean took another swig of his beer. “This is fantastic!” he declared. “I mean, how cool is it that the real Lois and Clark are here? You could tell us if the show’s storylines are accurate!”

I was kinda surprised that they didn't warn L&C about Tempus, but I guess they were a bit overwhelmed at the time. I know I would be!

“So?” Lois asked curiously. “Do I say yes? To the proposal you mentioned.” She gave Clark a playful grin and his heart did a nervous backflip.

Teri hesitated. “Well…no. Not exactly.”

Clark’s heart sank. “No?” he repeated hollowly. Every private hope and dream seemed to smash into oblivion right before his very eyes.

cry Poor Clark. She'll say yes eventually!!!!

“You see, it’s kind of complicated,” Dean cut in, leaning back in his seat, looking comfortable and relaxed. “The thing is, Clark’s just proposed to Lois, but he still hasn’t told her that he’s Superman, but she’s already figured it out…”

Clark’s face went stark white as all warmth and color drained away. His heart seemed to both pound in his chest and fall away to hide in his feet at the same moment. He gulped hard, trying to remoisten his suddenly dry throat. He wished he could shrink away into nothingness to avoid Lois’ wrath as she turned to him with a dangerous flaring of her nostrils and fire in her eyes.

“You’re what?!” she demanded.

Clark stuffed his hands into his pockets as his neck, ears, and face went hot and red with a blush. He cleared his throat, too scared of the conversation ahead to immediately answer Lois. “So…about that time machine, Mr. Wells…”

LOLOL Run, Clark, Run! Or maybe it should be Fly, Clark, Fly!
I was wondering if Clark was going to get away with his secret intact, but no, Dean had to spoil it for him, lol. Bad Dean!

Fun fic! I can't believe I hadn't read it before. Thank you Feedback Scavenger Hunt Challenge!!!!

Feedback Scavenger Hunt Challenge
9 1,248 Read More
Superman In Other Canon Fanfic Jump to new posts
FKM: Share Blueowl 05/09/24 12:44 AM
Summary: Clark has brought Lois home and will now tell her who he really is. Expanded scene (can be a stand alone or a flashback within ‘Sound’, 4th part of ‘Come Home’ series). Lots of super discussion.

Story
Come Home Series

Hope you all enjoyed ^_^
More to come on this series.
0 23 Read More
Superman In Other Canon Fanfic Jump to new posts
Share (1/1) Blueowl 05/09/24 12:41 AM

Summary: Clark has brought Lois home and will now tell her who he really is. Expanded scene (can be a stand alone or a flashback within ‘Sound’, 4th part of ‘Come Home’ series). Lots of super discussion.

“So what are you going to show me?” Lois asked as they walked hand-in-hand along the tractor path through the mostly cleared corn field.

“My secret,” he said, stopping along the edge of the path.

Lois glanced around. “Here?”

Clark nodded.

“Why here? Couldn’t you have told me anywhere?” she asked curiously.

“Well, there's a story involved,” he hedged, clearly nervous.

She smirked at him, finding his hesitancy adorable. “Why are you so nervous?”

“I've, uh–” he chuckled anxiously, “–never told this to anyone before.”

Lois raised an eyebrow, suddenly realizing this was of a more serious nature than she had thought.

“Okay. I'm listening,” she said supportively.

He gave her a gentle smile before taking a deep, shaky breath.

“Do you remember when I told you I was adopted?” he asked, looking at her.

“Yes. You said you were found. That the authorities never found your biological parents or where you had come from,” she said, her voice suddenly soft.

He nodded before turning his gaze away, across the field.

“Clark, if you want to figure out where you've come from, I'll help you. I'm good at investigating, you know,” she said gently, moving closer to him.

His eyes moved back to hers. “I know where I came from,” he whispered tentatively.

“Oh. Is that what this is about, then? Well, you know I don't care where you've come from, right? You could have come from outer space and it wouldn't change how I feel,” she said, lifting her other hand and placing it on his chest.

“I–” He nearly choked on the sudden lump in his throat and had to take a moment to clear it. “Thank you, Lois. That really means a lot. You have no idea how much–well, I suppose you'll know soon.”

He swallowed, ignoring her confused look.

“My parents found me here,” he said, pointing to a spot less than a pace away from them.

She quickly followed his finger and looked at the earth riddled with stubs of corn stalks.

“Who would leave a baby in the middle of a field?” she muttered, sadness and anger within her voice.

“I wasn't left here, I was sent,” Clark quietly corrected.

Lois frowned, quickly looking back up at him. “What?”

“I was sent here, when my planet . . . Krypton, was destroyed,” he said carefully.

Her eyes locked with his. She swallowed, slowly taking in his earnest and wary expression as she processed.

And processed some more.

“You’re not joking,” she stated.

He gave a strained chuckle. “No. I'm not.”

“I think I need to see proof,” she said, still staring at him.

“Okay.”

Clark stepped back, letting go of her hand. He then removed his glasses and allowed his feet to leave the ground.

Her eyes followed him as he floated up, and astonishment draped over her whole form. He came to a stop and hovered, looking down at her worriedly. After a long moment of stunned silence, he lowered himself back down and put his glasses back on.

Slowly, Lois approached him, her eyes suddenly holding a tender light – before she whacked him on his chest, surprising him.

“So Janet was right!” she exclaimed.

Clark blushed, recalling what Janet had told her on the day of the televised interview: ‘I think Superman is into you.’

Lois pulled back further, shaking her head as reality continued to settle upon her, giving her another perspective, another angle.

“These glasses . . .” she muttered, shaking her head and looking exasperated. “People really do see what they expect to see. No one is immune.”

“I’ve wanted to tell you for so long, but . . . it’s not an easy secret,” he began, but instantly fell silent as he saw her expression of contemplation.

“Yes. Waiting makes sense. I don’t blame you. I can’t blame you. This is . . . huge,” she said, before throwing her hands up. “Gah! I can’t believe I didn't see it! You're Superman! And we’ve been dating for how long now?!”

“Two months, three weeks, one day, and 4 hours,” Clark rattled off.

Lois froze and stared at him for a long moment, before smirking. “You . . . are such a dork.”

“Well, you did already know that,” Clark said, smiling back.

“I did,” she agreed, “And now I know Superman is dorky too.” She paused and gripped his arm, taking a deep breath. “Gosh. Is this weird for you too?”

“Very. You're the only person outside my parents to know who, and what, I really am,” he said. “I'm so glad you're taking it so well. Granted, I suppose I should have known you would since you're Lois Lane.”

She laughed as she took his face in her hands, feeling his stubble as she closely examined his face.

“How do you shave? I doubt razors work,” she abruptly inquired.

“Heat vision,” he answered with a shrug.

“Why do you wear glasses? Just for the disguise?” she asked.

“For the most part, but there was a time I wore glasses to get control of my x-ray vision. The lenses were leaded glass,” he explained.

Lois’ eyes widened. “What was that like?”

“Without the glasses, nauseating. With the glasses, manageable, since they allowed me to take breaks between practice,” Clark said.

“Practice?” she asked.

“My dad, Jonathan Kent, helped me learn to control my powers, usually in the barn. It took me a solid week for x-ray vision.” Clark shook his head. “That was the first time I ever threw up.”

“Threw up?” she asked, surprised.

“It really messed with my spatial awareness, peering into and out of objects indiscriminately. Not to mention how disorientating and alarming it was to see people’s organs and bones as well. Even when I understood what was happening, it was still jarring.”

“How old were you?” Lois asked, now working on imagining a young Superman coming into his powers while doing her best to balance the reality that he was also Clark.

“Ten.”

Lois stilled, processing the implications. “That's . . . a lot, especially for a child.”

Clark shrugged. “I got through it. Would you like to see the barn?” he asked, hopeful.

She smiled at his childlike eagerness. “Sure.”

They entered the barn and he led her to the trap door, which he opened. They went down the wooden ladder and he lit the lanterns hanging from the low rafters with his heat vision. Lois watched him, transfixed, the use of his heat vision a blatant demonstration of exactly who he was.

“For a long time, I was known as a sickly kid, having to be home for long stretches of time a few times a year,” Clark said, walking to a large tarp. “And during most of those days, I was down here with my dad.”

Lois slowly approached as he removed the tarp, revealing a large wooden log. She blinked as her eyes were immediately drawn to the fist imprints littering the surface of the hard oak. She tentatively pressed her fingers into the grooves, and she gasped at the size of some of the fist marks.

Some of them were so small!

“This was the first one I made,” he said, pointing to the knuckle print just a few inches from the one she was touching. “I was four.”

“Clark, this is amazing,” she said, stepping toward him.

He smiled. “You’ll like this even more then,” he said, directing her deeper into the cellar to another covered object. He yanked off the tarp.

Lois gasped, her eyes taking in a sleek metallic shape. “Is this . . . ?” She looked at him in question.

“Yes. This is what brought me to earth,” he said.

She chuckled softly, her eyes taking it in. “You put your spaceship in the cellar under your family barn.”

“My dad is the one who brought it down here. I just never relocated it,” he countered with a smile.

“Did you do anything else down here?” she asked as he covered it back up.

“I worked on controlling my x-ray vision and senses mostly, though I did do some things with my ice breath over there,” he said, indicating the corner of the cellar. “I practiced my heat vision outside and in the farm house.”

She looked around the dimly lit area with a thoughtful eye. “And flying?” she prompted.

He grinned as he took her hand and led her back up. “That came later. I learned that at . . . my fortress. I can show you tomorrow if you like.”

She grinned at him as they left the barn. She stepped closer to him. “Okay. So what will we do in the meantime?”

He swallowed, taking in her form as an expanse of stars stood as a backdrop. He pulled her close, gently holding her against himself.

“How about this?” he asked softly, slowly floating them up into the sky.

O o O o O

Comments
0 22 Read More
Re: FDK Scavenger Hunt: May 2024 KSaraSara 05/08/24 11:40 PM
OOH! POINTS FOR BEING SECOND!!!! party

My entry is:
Try Not to Change Anything by AmandaK

I think I did all the things right!

Sara smile1
4 171 Read More
Re: FDK: Try Not to Change Anything KSaraSara 05/08/24 07:55 PM
GAHHHH!!! Wow, yeah what Evie said about it seeming like a real episode. Great job on the tension and dialogue! But eeep!! They're stuck! 😭

Sara smile

P.S. I'm editing my reply to tag this for the FDK Scavenger Hunt Challenge!

So, quoted lines (which were gahhh bittersweet):

“Can’t you just fly here, just for a bit?”

“Lois… I don’t have any powers yet. I didn’t learn how to fly until I was eighteen.”

Gahhh!! mecry
10 642 Read More
Re: FDK Scavenger Hunt: May 2024 Darth Michael 05/08/24 06:54 PM
Hi Queenie!
What a fun idea!

My first entry:
Home: Circle of Fate

Now, I could start and go for many more. And maybe I will, but I don't want to rob the other FoLC of their chance of leaving fresh FDK and there's already a bunch of FDK on many of the time travel stories I could mention.

spoiler: the archive spreadsheet has a time travel tag, I believe. And there might be a curated time travel category on the archive, too, for the early years.

wave Michael
4 171 Read More
Lois & Clark Fanfic TOCs Jump to new posts
Series TOC: Don't Let Me See You Hurt bakasi 05/08/24 06:52 PM
0 31 Read More
Re: Home: Circle of Fate Darth Michael 05/08/24 06:51 PM
1 344 Read More
FDK: Home: Circle of Fate (all parts) Darth Michael 05/08/24 06:50 PM
TOC

Hi Nan!

this is a blast from the past but Mary just posted an FDK scavanger hunt and here we are...

We're also required to quote the time-travel section, so here it goes:
She glanced once more at the time traveler, but he showed no sign of regaining consciousness. Resisting, with difficulty, the base but very understandable urge to kick him a third time, she started down the slope, picking her way with care, toward the road that she could see perhaps half a mile away. Once there, maybe she could flag down someone who would help her.

And if, as she feared, she was no longer in her own time, maybe she could still get some help. Perhaps she could find someone who could fix the control device and help her get back home.

And for the actual FDK part:
I absolutely love the Home series and I always had a soft spot for timetraveling, so this one is just perhaps one of my favorite stories in the Home series. The other being the next long one where Clark gets really ticked off because...well... that's a spoiler. There's also the early ones. Gah...Anyway...the Home series has actually been a Christmas re-read for me from time to time. Hope you do a another one in the future hyper

Edit to add quotes:

She seized the front of his shiny tunic and yanked him toward her, driving her knee into his crotch with every ounce of strength that she could bring to bear. He screamed, doubling forward, and she grabbed for the control device.

Feebly he hung on, stumbling forward a few steps and clutching at the injured area. Her own equilibrium was thrown off by the shift in her center of gravity, caused by the almost full-term baby, and Lori fought for balance as she yanked at the control. Tempus resisted as she tugged, and then lurched clumsily after her. Together they tumbled from the window onto a grassy hillside.

She staggered as her feet hit grass and stones, and her hand encountered the rough bark of a tree trunk. She caught it, managing to stay on her feet, and pivoted clumsily around to see Tempus only feet away, still clutching the control device and grasping weakly for her. Her knee had obviously done some good, for his movements were weak and uncoordinated, which, considering her own condition, was a good thing. Taking advantage of her enemy's apparent lack of any scientific fighting skills, she slapped him across the bridge of the nose with the flat of her free hand and followed it up with a kick to the spot where her knee had already connected once.
Lori driving her point home (so to speak) was an explosive climax to a great fighting scene clap

He was spreading the tiny drop of blood on a slide when a flicker of motion at the corner of his eye made him look up. The rectangle had appeared again, only this time he could have sworn that it had acquired an eye.

The eye was brown, he noticed now, and was, to all appearances, human. It looked up, down and around, like Alice looking through the tiny door into Wonderland, and then the little rectangle vanished again, blinking out as if it had never been.
The eye scene with Bernie looking through the miniature portal was mysterious and inspired!

"Do you remember," Lori said cautiously, "what H.G. Wells told you and Clark on your honeymoon night, just before you went into the past to undo Baron Tempos's curse?"

"He told us several things," Lois said, with equal caution. "Which one are you talking about?"

"He told you that your souls were intertwined, always together, never one without the other. Soulmates."

Lois was staring at her, and there was comprehension in her eyes. "You're —"

Lori took a deep breath like a diver ready to plunge from the cliff into the churning water below. "I'm you."
I couldn't quote the entire scene but this whole Lori meeting Lois is just such wonderful fun. I absolutely loved it.

"I don't want to eat your dinner," Lori objected.

"The chicken's not dinner," Lois said. "That's my snack. I don't cook very well — but I guess you know that."
I'll just... rotflol for a bit rotflol if that's all right with you. rotflol

"Clark is very easy to love, as I'm sure you know. We were married two months later."

"I guess he decided not to waste time," Lois said. "He does learn if you hit him over the head often enough. Did he tell you about me right away — about having my soul?"
clap

Lois gave Lori a little push toward him and she was suddenly flinging herself into his arms. He wrapped them around her, burying his face in her hair.

"Lori," he whispered. "Oh god; I thought I'd lost you."

"I was so afraid I'd never see you again," she said. He could feel the little shivers shaking her body.

In the room beyond, he was aware of his mother and father getting abruptly to their feet. He hugged Lori again. "I guess Mom and Dad don't know the whole story?" he said.

She shook her head. "They just got here."

"Then I think we'd better tell them what's going on before they kill me," he said, looking up to see his mother's irate face. Lois, on the other hand, looked surprisingly calm. In fact, she was smiling.

"Martha, it's all right," Lois said. "It's not what it looks like."

Martha Kent stopped her advance on her son and glanced at Lois. "Then, what is it?" she asked. "Is this the other Clark again?"

"No," Clark said.

"Maybe you'd better explain," Lois said. "You'd probably better hurry, though. My Clark could be back any second."
And this. This is always such a great reunion.

I already said I love the series, so... yeah....

wave Michael
18 320 Read More
Re: FDK Scavenger Hunt: May 2024 Queen of the Capes 05/08/24 06:42 PM
Oh yes, Scoring:

This challenge officially ends on May 31st 2024, so only FDK left by then will garner points. You get:

10 points for being the first one to report back here with a tagged fic.

5 points for being second.

3 points for being third.

1 point for participating (i.e. Fourth response and on).

10 points for finding the oldest fic (final tally May 31)

2 points for finding the most recent fic (post date of most recent part posted by May 31)

10 points for Most Obscure Source

20 points for having the author reply to your comment

5 points for triggering new FDK posts from others on a comment thread whose last reply was older than one year. (these new posts must be also be posted by deadline for this achievement to count).

5 points for having your own fic tagged. (Only counts if you're, y'know, participating in the challenge.)

10 points for leaving a DarthEvie-style FDK post with line-by-line commentary having more than 3 quotes from the fic.
4 171 Read More
FDK Scavenger Hunt: May 2024 Queen of the Capes 05/08/24 06:02 PM
Alright everyone, gather round: It's time for the

Great FDK Scavenger Hunt!

The Rules are as follows:

I will give you an item/concept/whathaveyou. You must find a fic that contains this item and leave an FDK post.

If the fic has multiple chapters, you only need to comment on one. Preferably the most relevant one.

How old or recent the fic is does not matter. (Except for scoring; see below).

Whether a fic is complete does not matter. (WIPs welcome)

Where the fic is hosted does not matter. (Ao3, FF.net, and someone's old Geocities page are all fair game).

Fandom DOES matter: only fics based on L&C:TNAoS are eligible.

If, and only if, the story has no pre-existing place for FDK (such as a story only found on the LnC archive), you may start a new thread for it yourself.

Your post must:
1. Mention this scavenger hunt (links preferred but not mandatory)
2. Quote a line or passage which proves that this fic contains what you're looking for
3. Mention something about the fic: this IS an FDK challenge, after all.

YOU MAY NOT tag a fic that someone else has already gotten to. If the challenge item is "sentient teddybears" and someone has already posted their FDK Challenge post on "Superman vs Teddy Ruxpin" (note: example title only, probably not a real fic), then you cannot claim the same story. You may, however, claim any sequel or prequel, etc., if it also qualifies.

YOU MAY NOT tag your own fic. Giving yourself FDK is just silly.

Multiple entries will only be allowed AFTER nine participants have reported in. This unlocks the Free-for-All.

When you have tagged your fic, come back here and post what it is. Links preferred if you can.

Questions may be posted here also, or you can come bother me on the Discord if you'd rather.

Okay ready? Since this is the inaugural one, let's start with something easy:

Find a Fic which involves TIME TRAVEL
4 171 Read More
Re: FDK Found (1/16?) SuperBek 05/08/24 04:47 PM
Originally Posted by bakasi
Good grief, what is going on here. I have a feeling we're talking about child abuse. Can't wait to see where this is going. So glad to have you and your stories back. I'm eagerly awaiting the next part.

It's been a while since I've posted, and I'm actually a bit nervous for this one because as you can imagine, yeah, there's something not right going on... 😢

We'll learn more about Clark and his past soon...

Thanks for reading 🥰

-Bek
2 78 Read More
Off Topic Jump to new posts
Re: 50 Book Challenge 2024/What I've Read in 2024 scifiJoan 05/08/24 04:33 PM
#33 The Plus One by Mazey Eddings

Some facts are indisputable. The sun rises in the east, sets in the west. Gravity exits. Indira doesn’t like Jude. Jude doesn’t like Indira. But what happens when these childhood enemies find the only thing they can rely on is each other?

On paper, Indira has everything together. An amazing job, a boyfriend, and a car. What more could a late twenty-something ask for? But when she walks in on her boyfriend in an amorous embrace with a stranger, that perfect on paper image goes up in flames.

Very, very predictable. Surprisingly little depth for serious subject matter.
26 2,895 Read More
Re: FDK Found (1/16?) bakasi 05/08/24 04:07 PM
Good grief, what is going on here. I have a feeling we're talking about child abuse. Can't wait to see where this is going. So glad to have you and your stories back. I'm eagerly awaiting the next part.
2 78 Read More
Found by SuperBek (WIP) SuperBek 05/07/24 09:06 PM
0 30 Read More
FDK Found (1/16?) SuperBek 05/07/24 09:05 PM
Chapter 1

It seems like it's been a *really* long time since I've posted, but...here goes nothing.

As I said in my author's note, there are dark themes here, but the overall feeling I'm going for is HOPE, even if it takes a little while to get there.

This is part 1 of a planned trilogy and is almost complete. I'll probably post once or twice weekly until I'm finished with the writing for part 1, then I'll post more frequently.

Thanks in advance for reading! 🥰
-Bek
2 78 Read More
Re: FDK: Man of Steal 1/1 KSaraSara 05/07/24 09:03 PM
Gahhh Clark... gets what he deserves on this one. 😉 🤣
6 315 Read More
Found (1/16?) SuperBek 05/07/24 09:01 PM

Summary:
In Smallville, what you see is what you get. Usually. But sometimes even the most idyllic places can hold the most horrific secrets. Martha and Jonathan Kent never expected to find a little boy—especially not in the back seat of a wrecked car with his parents dead from the crash. Little Clark Peterson, now an orphan at the age of ten, seems like he’s holding on to more than one heartbreaking secret. Will Martha and Jonathan find the strength to make Clark feel safe again now that he’s been found?

Author’s note: This is Part One of a planned trilogy and is almost complete (there are maybe two more chapters to write). The theme is a bit dark but ultimately hopeful, and as usual, though I break lots of things, I promise to put them alllllll back together! Thank you to KSaraSara for encouragement and help with the Summary.

Content warning:
child abuse/severe neglect, on-page death of side characters, mild cursing

Found

By Bek <superbek1984@gmail.com>

Rating: PG-13

Martha Kent closed her eyes and leaned her head back against the headrest. For once, she was glad Jonathan had come with her into town to go shopping. She’d never loved driving in inclement weather. Not that she was bad at it; no, she could handle their pickup just fine, wind or rain or snow. But driving through the torrential downpour outside, combined with the exhaustion she felt after the long week they’d just had and the headache she’d been battling most of the afternoon, would have been challenging, to say the least.

Turning her head slightly in Jonathan’s direction, she opened her eyes about halfway and then reached a hand over and set it lightly on his thigh.

“Thanks for driving home, Jonathan,” she said, and she gave him a small smile when he glanced over at her.

“Of course, Martha.” He returned her smile before quickly looking back at the road ahead of them. “I’m glad you didn’t—”

Jonathan tensed, his hands tightening on the steering wheel, and Martha whipped her head back around to look forward just as he slammed his foot on the brakes. The sound of squealing tires was drowned out by Martha’s scream as the pickup slid to a stop, throwing her forward against the shoulder strap of her seatbelt.

“Oh God, Jonathan…”

“Stay here, Martha, I’ll—”

But she’d already unlatched her seat belt, turned the door handle, pushed the door open, and started out into the pouring rain, her eyes fixed on the scene in front of them.

A dark blue sedan settled into its position upside down just off the road, not more than forty feet ahead of her. Its roof was crushed, as was the entire passenger side; glass and debris were everywhere, and smoke wafted up from the front of the vehicle.

But Martha barely registered that or the nauseating smell of burnt rubber or the rain pounding down, instantly soaking her. Her gaze remained trained on the two figures in the front seat, hanging from their seatbelts.

“Jonathan!” She glanced back over her shoulder toward their pickup just as Jonathan shut the door.

“I’m coming, Martha.”

Together, they ran through the rain, across the slick asphalt, and then into the mud and wet grass along the side of the road. And the closer they got, the more the knot in Martha’s stomach tightened.

“God, Jon…”

Martha stopped a few feet back from the flipped vehicle, her hands moving up to cover her mouth as Jonathan continued on, carefully lowering himself to the ground amidst all of the broken glass and reaching into the vehicle toward the driver.

“Martha…” Jonathan grunted as he scooted back a bit and looked at her over his shoulder. His eyes told her all she needed to know, and she felt tears mingling with the rain sliding down her cheeks. Jonathan’s voice thick with anguish, he stammered, “The backseat—check the backseat, Martha…there’s—there’s a child.”

Her heart sank, and she tore her gaze away from her husband and forced her feet to move. Within seconds, she had knelt down next to the vehicle, and she carefully wiggled her way in through the partially shattered window, ignoring the shards of glass that sliced into her palms and knees. Ahead of her, a small child—maybe seven years old—hung upside down in the middle seat, the lap belt barely holding him in place. Blood dripped from a cut on his head and another on his arm, and his eyes were lightly closed with unconsciousness.

But as she reached up and placed a hand in front of the boy’s mouth, she felt him breathing, and a wave of relief washed over her.

“He’s alive, Jonathan!” she called over the din of the rain, which still pounded down outside.

“Can you get him out?”

She quickly scanned the small space around her. With the roof crushed in, the boy—even being as small as he was—was only a few inches from the ground.

“I think so,” she said. Then, she twisted around as much as she could until she found Jonathan, who was leaning in watching her through the broken window.

“Be careful, Martha,” he said with a small nod. “Wayne’s on his way, I can see him comin’ down his driveway with his truck. We should get the boy inside, call Doc McMillan.”

A small moan from the child shifted Martha’s focus, and she turned back toward the boy as his face tightened.

“Shh, sweetie, you’re okay. I’m gonna get you outta here,” she murmured quietly, although the boy didn’t respond. Inching closer, she brushed some of the broken glass out from directly underneath him. The ground was wet from the rain, and she shivered as a chilly breeze swept through the vehicle. She began to ease herself onto the ground carefully, turning onto her back and then scooting just underneath the boy.

“Careful Martha, you don’t know what kind of injuries he might have.”

She nodded and reached up to cradle the boy’s head with one hand, feeling warm blood at the back, matting his unruly black hair. With her other hand, she reached up toward the seatbelt latch. Pausing, she glanced back toward Jonathan, lifting her head off the ground a bit so she could see him. “There’s a blanket behind the seat in the pickup. Can you…?”

“Got it. I’ll be right back.”

Still being as careful as she could, Martha pushed the button to undo the seatbelt but held the belt in her hand and then slowly let it retract. When her hand reached his midsection, she released the lap belt and shifted to support the boy with her hand just above his hips.

He weighed nearly nothing, and she was surprised when she didn’t have too much trouble easing him down on top of her, his head coming to rest on her chest. Gently, she wrapped both arms around him, and she spoke quietly to him as she started to slide along the ground back out of the broken vehicle.

“Shh, I got you, sweetie. You’re gonna be okay.” She didn’t even know if that was true, but god, she’d never hoped for anything more in her life. Voices outside the vehicle became louder as she inched her way out, feet first.

“I called the police already, but they’re at least ten minutes out yet. Maybe y’all take my truck back to the house, call Doc to get out here to see to the boy.”

“Good idea, Wayne. Get him inside, out of this rain. Martha…?”

“You have that blanket, Jonathan?”

“Yes, ma’am.”

When she’d scooted all the way out of the car, Jonathan laid a blue and white quilt over top of the boy, and then both he and Wayne helped her to stand as she kept the child held tightly in her arms. He didn’t stir again, and his breathing seemed labored.

“Here, Jonathan, take my truck,” Wayne said, handing Jonathan a set of keys.

Then, together, Martha and Jonathan hurried over to Wayne’s white pickup, and Jonathan opened up the passenger’s side door and helped Martha in before climbing into the driver’s seat.

She closed her eyes for just a few seconds and steadied herself with a few deep breaths as her husband started the truck, turned it around, and then drove as quickly as he could back down the driveway to the Irigs’ home. In her arms, the boy moaned again, and she loosened her embrace just enough to shift him a bit so she could see his face.

There was a nasty cut on his cheek and then another gash just at his hairline. But they looked relatively superficial, and what she was more immediately concerned with was how pale and gaunt the boy was. She pursed her lips together and bit back a sob as she realized her earlier assessment of his age was probably wrong; the boy was likely closer to ten or maybe even eleven, she thought.

Jonathan pulled up to a stop as close to the house as he could get, and Hazel Irig, Wayne’s wife, hurried out to meet them, holding up a large umbrella.

“Hazel, will you call Doc?” Jonathan asked after he helped Martha out of the car and to the front porch. “I should head back out to stay with Wayne until the police arrive.”

“Yes, yes, of course,” Hazel replied with an emphatic nod. “Come on, Martha, let’s get this poor boy warmed up.”

And she followed Hazel inside, cradling the precious bundle—this beautiful, tiny child—tightly to her chest.

Martha absently stroked the boy’s forehead, brushing his hair back for the umpteenth time, as she gazed down at him.

“Just a few more minutes, sweetie, and Doc will be here to take a look at you. You’re gonna be fine. You’re…gonna…be…”

Fresh tears slid down her cheeks, the first in the fifteen minutes since she’d sat down with the child. She quickly reached up and wiped them away as she lifted her eyes to Hazel, who sat on the sofa a few feet away holding a mug of hot tea in her hands. Martha shook her head as her gaze met her friend’s.

“He’s so tiny, Hazel. He’s…”

“He’s…not well…” Hazel said quietly. “And I don’t mean…”

“...just from the car wreck…”

Her friend nodded, and Martha lowered her eyes back to the boy. He shifted a bit in her arms, but still didn’t wake, and she continued to caress his forehead with gentle fingers. Something about him tugged at her heart…that part of her heart that she’d tried to shut down so many years ago, when she and Jonathan had found out they couldn’t have children of their own.

As she stared down at the boy’s perfect little face, marred by streaks of mud and dried blood, she couldn’t help but wonder what would happen to him now… If she’d interpreted Jonathan’s expressions correctly, the two adults in the car with the boy—presumably his parents—hadn’t survived the crash… But certainly he had relatives who would take him in…or something. Certainly he wouldn’t be without a home…

A soft knock came at the front door, and Hazel smiled gently at Martha and then stood up and disappeared out of the living room, leaving Martha alone with the boy for a moment. She stilled, not even realizing she’d been rocking him gently, and she resisted the urge to plant a kiss on his beautiful little forehead.

“Perfect little boy. Doc is here, I bet, and he’ll…make sure you’re okay,” she said, her voice barely above a whisper.

The boy grimaced and moaned, shifting in her arms to curl up against her more. Then, as though he’d just realized someone was holding him, his whole body stiffened, and he inhaled sharply.

Instinctively, although she couldn’t say where the instinct came from, Martha resumed her rocking and started to hum a quiet tune. And as she brushed his hair back from his face again, the child whimpered and slowly blinked open his eyes.

Her heart clenched.

Huge deep brown eyes flitted up at her very briefly—wide with curiosity and wonder for just a moment before they filled with fear. The child screwed his eyes shut and started struggling, trying to escape her embrace. And he was surprisingly strong for his small frame. However, she held him tightly and began talking to him, keeping her voice calm, gentle, kind…

“Shh, sweetie, it’s okay. You’re okay. You’re okay. Shh,” she murmured. She wasn’t entirely sure whether she was doing the right thing or saying the right thing, but the boy seemed to respond to her words—either that or he just tired fairly quickly; his writhing slowed and then stopped altogether. To her dismay, however, he then curled in on himself and started crying, his little body shaking, even though he obviously tried to hide it, as he buried his head into the blanket. Her heart twisted again, and she stroked his hair softly. “Oh, sweetie, shh, now. You’re okay. Shh.”

Quiet voices from behind them seemed to startle the child, and he stilled quite suddenly and whimpered again. Immediately, Martha held him just a little bit tighter.

“No need to worry, sweetie. That’s just Doc McMillan and Hazel. Doc is going to give you a little check up and make sure you’re alright. Is that okay with you?”

The boy shook his head almost violently and then seemed to immediately regret it, bringing both hands up to cover his eyes. Martha frowned as she continued rocking slowly.

“No?”

The boy shook his head again, although he seemed more careful about it this time.

“Can you tell me why?”

Again, he shook his head.

Martha lifted her eyes as Hazel and Doc McMillan entered the room, silent now. Doc tipped his head at her but didn’t speak or step closer. Instead, he and Hazel moved to the sofa and sat quietly. Doc gave her a small smile and a slight nod as though to encourage her, and Martha shifted her focus back to the boy again.

“Sweetie, what if…I stay with you? You can even just stay right here on my lap, right here in this chair, and I won’t let you go the whole time? Can we try that?”

When he hesitated, his eyes still scrunched closed, Martha felt her heart break even more. She cleared her throat quietly and looked up at Doc, who still watched her patiently. He gave her another nod, and she blinked back her tears as she forced a smile in return.

“How about we just try letting him listen to your heartbeat first, sweetie?” It was a guess—she didn’t know what Doc would normally check first, but something told her they needed to move slowly if they were to have the boy’s cooperation.

And when he lifted his chin ever so slightly and glanced up at her with those big brown eyes, still full of tears, she held her breath, waiting. His little jaw trembled as he seemed to study her for a moment, and she smiled at him again and tightened her arms around him ever so slightly. Finally, he closed his eyes, shivered, and mumbled a quiet “’kay.”

“Good, good,” Martha breathed, lifting her eyes to Doc and Hazel.

Doc stood, navigated around the coffee table in the middle of the Irigs’ living room until he reached Martha, and then knelt in front of her and the boy, his movements careful and slow. He set his medical bag down on the floor next to him and then quietly cleared his throat.

The boy flinched in Martha’s arms and curled up just a little more. Her eyes caught Doc’s, and she frowned.

“Shh, sweetie, everything’s okay. You’re okay,” Martha murmured again, even as she swallowed back her worry.

“Hey buddy, my name’s Doc.” Doc rested a hand on the armrest of the chair Martha sat in to help steady himself as he settled onto his knees. Then he lifted the ear pieces of his stethoscope up to his ears. “What’s your name?”

Martha knew Doc didn’t expect an answer, and neither of them got one. Instead, the child just scrunched his eyes closed tighter. Martha stroked his forehead and tried her best to keep the smile on her face as Doc scooted himself a little closer.

“Alright, buddy, first thing I need to do is just listen to your heartbeat.”

Doc spoke quietly as he carefully pulled back the top of the blanket, and he proceeded to explain every step as he gently lifted the boy’s shirt and slid the diaphragm of the stethoscope up the boy’s chest. The boy seemed to hold his breath, his eyes squeezed shut and his jaw clenched, and Martha thought she could feel his whole body shaking as Doc moved the stethoscope to a few different spots, listening to the boy’s heart and lungs.

Her heart started racing as she watched Doc suppress a frown, his eyes flickering up to meet hers briefly when he removed the stethoscope from under the boy’s shirt. Gently, he pulled the blanket back up over the boy, and the warm smile returned to his face.

“There we go, buddy. All finished there,” Doc said. His movements still slow and smooth, he removed his stethoscope, put it back into his medical bag, and pulled out a small, silver instrument. “And now, I’m gonna need your help just a little bit, buddy, because I need to check out your eyes next. Do you think you can help an old man out?”

Martha squeezed the boy gently as he shook his head, his eyes still shut tightly. She opened her mouth to try to convince him otherwise, but Doc cleared his throat again.

“That’s okay, buddy, I understand. I understand. You’re doing great, by the way. I know this is scary,” Doc said, his eyes meeting Martha’s with another kind smile. She could see his concern though, and she held her breath as he continued. “How about instead, you can let me check out the cuts you’ve got on your head here? Can I do that, buddy?”

And again, the boy hesitated, his body tensing in her arms. She soothed him gently, the only way she knew how, with slow, careful caresses along his forehead.

“Is that okay, sweetie? Doc just wants to take a look.”

Finally, he swallowed and nodded lightly, but then he curled up against Martha more, one of his tiny hands poking out from around the blanket to grasp her arm. She forced herself to take a measured breath as she smiled down at him.

“Good, good. Now you just focus on my voice here, while Doc takes a look, and he’ll be done before you know it,” Martha promised, hoping she was right. Her eyes darted up to Doc, but he was already sifting through his medical bag, looking for something, and she quickly focused her attention back on the boy as she started to hum quietly.

His eyes opened just a little, just enough for her to get a glimpse of their beautiful deep brown color again, before he flinched at the sound of Doc’s medical bag closing, his eyes screwing shut once more.

While Martha kept humming, Doc explained that he was going to inspect each of the cuts on the boy’s face, and the boy didn’t move, holding himself almost unnaturally still as the older man carefully wiped away the dried blood and streaks of mud, cleaning up the wounds. Gently, Martha held the boy’s hair back off his forehead as Doc cleaned the cut along the boy’s hairline, which looked a little deeper than the one on his cheek.

Doc then let out a short breath. “Okay, kiddo, I’m going to have a look here and make sure we didn’t miss anything.” He paused for a moment, then added quietly, “Martha, can we help him sit up, just a little, so I can check out the back of his head and neck?”

“Of course, Doc,” Martha said. “Okay, sweetie, did you hear that? I’m just going to shift a bit here, and you can…” Her voice trailed off as she started to move, lifting the boy up slightly. He’d tensed again, but he didn’t struggle as she propped him up a bit, resettled herself into the chair, and leaned him on her chest. And all the while, as she felt his thin frame trembling in her arms, she tried to ignore the aching in her heart telling her his behavior was…not normal. “There we go, sweetie. How’s that?” She addressed him, but glanced up at Doc, who nodded with a smile and mouthed “Perfect.”

Behind her, Martha heard the front door open and the sounds of umbrellas closing, accompanied by quiet voices she recognized as Jonathan’s and Wayne’s and another she thought might be Sheriff Harris’s. Hazel hopped up from her spot on the sofa and hurried out to meet them, presumably to steer them into the kitchen or somewhere else so the boy didn’t feel even more overwhelmed.

For his part, Doc didn’t miss a beat, explaining in his warm, gentle voice what he was going to do before he reached up and carefully parted the boy’s hair in the back, checking for other wounds. Martha kept her eyes trained on Doc’s face, and her stomach lurched as she saw him frown. At the same moment, the boy whimpered and pressed himself against her more.

“Sorry, buddy, you’ve got…” Doc frowned again and looked up at Martha. “Hold him tight, Martha. This won’t be comfortable.”

She closed her eyes and lowered her head to rest on the top of the child’s as she did exactly what Doc said, tightening her arms around the boy. He whimpered again but didn’t move, and she continued murmuring quietly to him. “Shh, sweetie. You’re okay. Hush now, everything’s going to be okay. Shh.”

He flinched, his whole body jerking slightly, as Doc used his tweezers to remove a small shard of glass from a wound on the back of the boy’s head. Then she held him even tighter, her stomach twisting in knots again, when his breaths seemed to become short and rapid and he started to cry, burying his head into her shoulder.

“Sorry about that, buddy. But that’s all done now, and I’ve just gotta finish cleaning this up here.”

Ten minutes later, Martha cradled the boy in her arms, rocking him as she hummed a soft tune. Doc McMillan had gathered his things and stood, his expression thoughtful, and he tilted his head toward the kitchen. Martha just nodded with a small smile and closed her eyes as Doc disappeared to join the group speaking in hushed tones in the kitchen.

She could hear bits and pieces—fragments of phrases and words that didn’t make sense without context, and so, rather than try to figure it all out, she pressed a light kiss to the top of the boy’s head and let herself relax just a little into the soft cushions of the chair. And the boy seemed to relax as well, settling into her embrace and letting out a long breath.

It wasn’t much longer before she could tell he’d fallen asleep, his breathing becoming regular and deep, and she finally opened her eyes again and looked down at him, her heart clenching. God, she…didn’t want to let him go.

The thought overpowered everything else in her mind then, and with a short, shuddering breath, she placed a gentle kiss on his forehead.

“Perfect little boy…”

“Martha…”

Jonathan’s low whisper from behind her startled her a bit, despite its softness, and she blinked twice before swiveling the rocking chair slowly, carefully, until she could see him. He stood in the doorway to the kitchen, the others sitting at the kitchen table behind him, still talking quietly amongst themselves. Doc had joined the group and was now writing something on a yellow notepad. She shifted her gaze back to her husband, and as their eyes met, she felt a wave of love and compassion from him. She pursed her lips and tried not to cry.

“The boy’s name is Clark Peterson,” Jonathan said, his voice quiet as he stepped closer to her.

Something inside of her shook loose, and she couldn’t stop the tears from falling then as she nodded and looked back down at the child.

Clark… His name was Clark.

“He’s ten years old. His parents…were Abigail and Jacob Peterson. They did live in Smallville—that old farmhouse off Big Creek Road—but…the sheriff says he’d only met them once before, and he’d never met Clark…”

She knew the question she needed to ask, and it was right there on the tip of her tongue, waiting… But her heart wouldn’t let her, and she just tore her gaze away from the beautiful child she held in her arms—the child who was much too small for his age and much too young to have lost his parents. As more tears slid down her cheeks, she looked up at Jonathan and shook her head slightly.

Jonathan knelt in front of her and placed a gentle hand on her knee. He didn’t quite smile, but she could tell from his expression that he understood her. And he nodded.

“I’ll talk to the sheriff. If nothing else, I’m sure he’ll need a place to stay until…his relatives can be located.”

With a weak smile and a squeeze of her knee, Jonathan stood and quietly moved back into the kitchen to speak with the sheriff, leaving her and the boy—Clark—alone again. Martha swiveled the chair back around to face away from the kitchen and lowered her eyes to the sleeping child. Slowly, she reached up and brushed back his hair.

“I’ve got you.” He seemed to settle up against her a bit more, and she couldn’t help as her heart tugged at her again. “I won’t let anything happen to you. Beautiful, perfect little boy.”
0 50 Read More
Re: FDK: Disaster KSaraSara 05/07/24 08:59 PM
Originally Posted by Darth Michael
Hi Mary!

A/N: Many thanks to KSaraSara for beta-ing this!

Just a heads up, this is a little angsty.
Between Mary and Sara, how angsty can it get?

LOIS: Clark has not touched my back for fifteen minutes.
CLARK: It’s so loud in the newsroom, I couldn’t track Lois’s heartbeat when she wasn’t in the room.
LOIS: What are you talking about? I was only gone fifteen minutes when I had to powder my nose after lunch.
Disaster

LOL!!! 😂
4 277 Read More
Re: FDK: Proud of My Son KSaraSara 05/07/24 08:51 PM
Eeep!!! This is such a fascinating idea!! (Especially the idea about the transplant when they're younger and that giving Lex powers!!!!) Thanks for sharing!!

Sara smile
9 420 Read More
Re: FDK: Not For Lack Of Trying KSaraSara 05/07/24 07:52 PM
Gahhhhh!! Poor young-adult Clark!!! Lovely little ficlet with the right amount of feels! 💜

Sara smile
11 643 Read More
Re: FDK: Walk the Dog Challenge: Storytime SuperBek 05/07/24 07:50 PM
Ahhh sweet Krypto! I also loved this point of view! Thanks for walking the dog! 😁😍
4 190 Read More
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8